You are always free to change your personal style. There are many ways to do this. But sometimes we just don’t know how. For example you can find your personal style through self identity.
Self identity is a great trait to be conscious of and to learn to develop.
At any moment you can change your self-identity.
This is a great thing.
You can change. Now.
I did some research on self-identity and I came up with some useful information.
For example this: Your self-identity refers to the set of beliefs, characteristics, and values that define you and differentiate you from others. It encompasses an individual’s sense of who they are, their understanding of their place in the world, and their sense of purpose and direction ie the life they want.
And this: Self-identity is often formed through a combination of various factors, including experiences, relationships, cultural background, and personal traits. It can also be influenced by external factors such as social norms, media messages, and societal expectations.
I think you’d probably agree with these statements.
And this: An individual’s self-identity can change and evolve over time as they go through different life experiences, learn new things, and interact with different people. It can also be impacted by personal growth, self-reflection, and introspection.
And finally this: Having a strong sense of self-identity is important for personal well-being, as it helps individuals feel more confident, authentic, and empowered in their lives.
I like all those comments.
Can you feel the but coming?
My but is this:
Those comments, valid as they are seem to have an implicit understanding that your self-identity comes through the valuation of external factors rather than the valuation that comes from within you.
In other words that your self identity is based on events that happen outside of yourself and not on your own inner valuation on yourself.
I heard this phrase this morning, I think it was from Dr Joe Dispenza, he said, Are you living your life in cause and effect mode or are you causing an effect on your world. And this is so true for self-identity.
Is your identity caused by all external factors, or have you decided yourself in your inner thoughts on how you want to shape and mould your identity in a way that pleases you and that is an enjoyable way for you to live your life?
What I want to address is causing an effect.
How to cause an effect in your own life. So that you really make a difference. To how you live your life.
Causing an effect.
Personal style is a vital part of the self-identity development because it helps you develop your self-identity from an internal perspective.
Personal style plays an important role in the self-identity development process by allowing you to express yourself freely, to connect with those around you who have a similar identity, such as cultural and social groups, explore you values, and develop confidence and self-esteem.
Let’s explore the relationship between self-identity and personal style further
Ways in which your self-identity develops from your personal style
Action: There are lots of prompts coming up so don’t try and do them all at once. Take your time. Maybe take a section a day or a week. As you journal through the prompts take the time to self reflect and understand what you are thinking.
Key: When you understand what you are thinking and why, then you’ve found the kernel of a thought that can change your life.
To give you some examples of how your self-identity develops from your personal style:
Exploring your personal style
When you begin the process of finding your own personal style, you’re essentially embarking on an exploration of your own tastes, preferences, and personality. You may try on different styles and fashion choices until you find what feels authentic and true to who you are.
Here are some journal prompts to help specifically with an exploration around your personal style:
- What are some of your favorite fashion designers, and what do you like about their work?
- What are some of your favorite interior design styles, and why do you think you are drawn to them?
- What are some of your favorite artistic styles, such as painting or sculpture, and what do you appreciate about them?
- What are some of your favorite genres of literature, and why do you enjoy reading them?
- What are some of your favorite types of cuisine, and why do you find them appealing?
- What are some of your favorite travel destinations, and what do you like about the cultures or landscapes there?
- What are some of your favorite forms of exercise, and how do they make you feel?
- What are some of your favorite forms of entertainment, such as movies or video games, and what do you find enjoyable about them?
- What are some of your favorite types of technology, and how do they improve your life?
- What are some of your favorite products or brands, and why do you prefer them over others?
Learning authenticity through your personal style
Your personal style is a reflection of your personality, values, and tastes. By developing your own personal style, you’re also developing your own sense of authenticity and self-expression. You’re embracing your individuality and expressing it through your clothing and accessories.
Here are some journal prompts to help you develop and identify authenticity in your life:
- What does authenticity mean to you? How does it feel to live an authentic life?
- What are some areas in your life where you feel you are not being authentic? Why do you think this is the case?
- What are some things you do or say to please others, even when you don’t really want to? How does this affect your sense of self?
- What are some values that are important to you? How can you live in alignment with those values?
- What are some things you are passionate about? How can you incorporate those passions into your daily life?
- What are some fears or insecurities that hold you back from being authentic? How can you overcome those fears?
- Who are some people in your life that inspire you to be authentic? What can you learn from them?
- What are some changes you can make in your life to live more authentically? How can you take action to make those changes?
- What are some affirmations or mantras that can help you stay true to yourself? How can you integrate those into your daily routine?
- How can you be more mindful of your thoughts, feelings, and actions? What practices can you adopt to cultivate self-awareness and authenticity in your life?
Developing Self-Awareness as you express your personal style
Developing your own personal style can also help you become more self-aware. As you experiment with different styles and fashion choices, you’ll learn more about what you like and don’t like, what feels comfortable and what doesn’t, and how you want to present yourself to the world. This can lead to a deeper understanding of your own personality and preferences.
Here are some journal prompts to help you explore how personal style helps you become more self-aware:
- What are some clothing items or accessories that make you feel most like yourself? Why do you think this is the case?
- How does your personal style reflect your personality or mood? What messages do you communicate through your clothing choices?
- How has your personal style evolved over time? What factors have influenced those changes?
- What are some societal or cultural influences that have impacted your personal style? How do these influences align with your personal values and beliefs?
- What role does personal expression play in your life? How does your personal style allow you to express yourself authentically?
- How do you feel when you receive compliments or criticism on your personal style? How does this feedback affect your sense of self?
- What are some risks you have taken with your personal style? How have these risks helped you to grow and become more self-aware?
- How do you balance the desire to fit in with the desire to express your individuality through your personal style?
- What are some ways you can use your personal style to enhance your self-awareness and personal growth?
- How can you use your personal style to boost your confidence and self-esteem?
Personal style, empowerment and confidence
When you feel comfortable and confident in your personal style, it can have a positive impact on your overall confidence and self-esteem. By developing your own personal style, you’re empowering yourself to be more confident and self-assured in your appearance and your identity.
Here are some journal prompts that might help you explore how being confident in your personal style can boost your overall confidence and self-esteem:
- What does your personal style say about you? How does it reflect your personality and values?
- Describe a time when you felt particularly confident in your personal style. What made you feel that way?
- How does feeling good about the way you look impact your mood and behavior throughout the day?
- Have you ever received compliments on your personal style? How did it make you feel?
- What are some pieces of clothing or accessories that you feel particularly confident wearing? Why do they make you feel that way?
- Have you ever tried a new fashion trend or style that you were initially unsure about? How did it make you feel to step out of your comfort zone?
- How does your personal style make you stand out or blend in with others? Do you feel more confident in one scenario versus the other?
- Have you ever felt pressure to conform to someone else’s fashion choices? How did it make you feel, and how did you handle it?
- How do you think you would feel if you completely changed your personal style? Would it be a positive or negative experience?
- How can you use your personal style to express your creativity and individuality? What steps can you take to feel more confident in your unique sense of style?
The evolution of your personal style
Your personal style can also evolve and change over time, just like your personality and interests. By embracing this evolution, you’re allowing yourself the freedom to explore new aspects of your identity and express them through your personal style.
Here are some journal prompts that might help you explore how the evolving nature of your personal style allows you to grow and evolve:
- How has your personal style changed over the years? What factors influenced these changes?
- Have you ever made a conscious decision to change your personal style? What prompted this decision, and how did it make you feel?
- How has your evolving personal style reflected changes in your personality or values?
- Are there any fashion trends or styles that you used to love but no longer resonate with you? Why do you think this is?
- How can trying out new fashion trends or styles allow you to explore different aspects of your personality?
- Have you ever tried a fashion trend or style that you were initially hesitant about, but ended up loving? What did you learn from this experience?
- How can experimenting with different fashion styles or accessories help you build confidence and self-awareness?
- Do you tend to stick to a particular fashion style, or do you enjoy mixing and matching different styles? How does this reflect your personality?
- How has your personal style influenced your interactions with others? Have you ever bonded with someone over a shared love of fashion or a particular style?
- How can you use your evolving personal style to express your creativity and individuality, and continue to grow and evolve as a person?
Finally here are some journal prompts to explore how finding your own personal style can be a journey of self-identity:
How does your personal style reflect your sense of self-identity? In what ways does it deviate from or conform to societal expectations?
What are some style choices you have made that feel most authentic to your sense of self-identity? How did you discover these choices?
How has your personal style evolved as you have discovered more about your sense of self-identity? What have been some turning points in this evolution?
What are some fashion trends or styles that you have been drawn to but have not yet tried? What do you think this says about your sense of self-identity?
In what ways can exploring different fashion choices or styles help you to discover new aspects of your sense of self-identity?
How can incorporating different cultural or historical fashion influences into your personal style help you to celebrate your own cultural identity or heritage?
What are some ways that dressing for your own personal style can help you to assert your sense of self-identity in different situations?
What are some style icons or fashion influencers who inspire you and why? What do they represent to you in terms of self-identity?
How can developing a personal style that feels true to your sense of self-identity help you to feel more comfortable and confident in your own skin?
What are some ways that dressing for your own personal style can help you to express your individuality and uniqueness?
How can experimenting with different style choices or fashion trends help you to explore different aspects of your sense of self-identity?
In what ways can developing a personal style be a form of self-expression that helps you to communicate your sense of self-identity to others?
What are some ways that dressing for your own personal style can help you to feel more connected to your sense of self-identity and purpose?
How can developing a personal style that reflects your own values and beliefs help you to express your sense of self-identity in an authentic and meaningful way?
What are some ways that finding your own personal style can be a journey of self-identity that is both challenging and rewarding?
If you like this post (and we hope you did!) you may also like:
How style prompts promote mental health to create unique you
Self discovery journal prompts to create your unique style
Wardrobe journaling: Do clothes make you feel different