When I first started journaling about what to wear, I wanted to give women a way of journaling so that you learn to understand what you are thinking and how you think about yourself.
I used the medium of journaling. Journaling is a very gentle writing practice. It’s a kind and compassion way method of self enquiry that helps address deep feelings such as how to love yourself and what you wear by journaling.
I call this way of journaling, Wardrobe Journaling.
Wardrobe Journaling is essentially about self love. As women we often forget about self love. You might think it is a luxury rather than a requirement in your life. I know I did. My journey to self love had a surprising start, I didn’t think I was worthy of self love, so to realise that I was not only worthy but that it is a perfectly normal and wonderful appreciation that we are all entitled to if only we allow it was rather surprising.
There is no one who can prevent your self love or allow your self love except you, and that is a wonderful thing.
This blog post is all about self love. It will give you ideas for journaling about self love, ideas to rethink how you feel about yourself, who you are and your life, including your clothes.
Learning to love yourself and what you wear by journaling is a gentle, regular practice to examine what you really think about yourself and enable you to self-suggest ways to alter or improve your life.
The post finishes with ways to start a self love journal for yourself and some prompts to trigger you into action. And if you want to learn more you can check out the page on Wardrobe Journaling too.
What does it mean to journal for self love?
Journaling for self-love means using your writing as a tool to cultivate a deeper understanding and acceptance of yourself. It involves taking the time to reflect on your thoughts, emotions, and experiences in a non-judgmental way, and using writing as a means to explore and process these aspects of yourself.
Journaling can help you to identify and challenge negative thought patterns, celebrate your successes and accomplishments, and explore your deepest desires and values. By engaging in this process of self-reflection and self-expression, you can develop a greater sense of self-awareness and self-compassion, which are key components of self-love.
Your clothes are a visual aspect of your self love. They are an outer reflection of your inner world. Learning to love yourself and what you wear is a vital part of your journey and journal for self love. Six steps to wardrobe journaling can give you an idea of what is available to you.
Journaling for self-love is a powerful practice that can help you to cultivate a more positive and nurturing relationship with yourself.
Is journaling a good way to learn to love yourself?
Yes, as discussed above, you will find that journaling is an excellent way to learn to love yourself as I did myself. Writing in a journal can help you to develop greater self-awareness and self-compassion, which are both important components of self-love.
When you write in a journal, you can explore your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a safe and private space. By doing so, you can gain a better understanding of your inner world and develop a deeper connection with yourself.
Journaling can also help you to identify and challenge negative self-talk and self-limiting beliefs. When you write down your thoughts and beliefs, you can examine them more objectively and question whether they are truly accurate or helpful. This process can help you to develop a more positive and supportive inner dialogue, which is essential for cultivating self-love. By writing down your achievements, big and small, you can develop a greater sense of pride and self-worth, which can boost your self-love and self-esteem and help you develop a stronger, more positive relationship with yourself.
How to get self love
It might be useful to pause here and take a step back. Yes, journaling can help, but actually developing self-love is a process that takes time and effort. Here are several things you can do to cultivate a greater sense of love and appreciation for yourself:
- Practice self-care: Take care of your physical, emotional, and mental health by getting enough rest, eating nourishing foods, exercising regularly, and engaging in activities that bring you joy and fulfilment.
- Challenge negative self-talk: Become aware of your inner critic and work to challenge negative self-talk. Replace critical thoughts with kind, supportive ones that affirm your worth and value.
- Set boundaries: Learn to say no to things that don’t serve you or that compromise your well-being. Setting boundaries can help you prioritize your needs and values and develop greater self-respect.
- Practice self-compassion: Be kind and gentle with yourself, especially when you make mistakes or face challenges. Remember that everyone has flaws and imperfections, and treat yourself with the same compassion and understanding you would offer a close friend.
- Connect with others: Surround yourself with people who support and encourage you, and who make you feel good about yourself. Building positive relationships can help you feel loved and valued.
- Engage in self-reflection: Take time to reflect on your thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Writing in a journal or talking to a trusted friend or therapist can help you gain greater insight into your inner world and develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of yourself.
- Switch off outside voices: Take time away from videos, podcasts and books and listen to your own voice. Even if they are great and valuable and of immense help to you. Hearing yourself, listening to your own thoughts is really valuable. Welcome back to yourself!
Remember that self-love is not something that can be achieved overnight, as I discovered myself. It takes practice, patience, and a commitment to treating yourself with kindness, compassion, and respect. That’s where your journal can come in, to help you track and monitor your journey. By making self-love a priority in your life and taking steps to cultivate it every day, you can develop a stronger, more positive relationship with yourself. Then you can take up your journal and find it
How to start a self love journal
You may be wondering how to start a self love journal. Starting a self-love journal can be a simple and effective way to begin your self-discovery journey. Here are some steps you can take to get started:
A self-love journal can include a variety of things depending on your personal preferences and goals. However, here are some ideas of what to include in a self-love journal:
- Gratitude: Write down things you are grateful for each day, big or small. This can help you focus on the positive and cultivate a more positive outlook.
- Affirmations: Write affirmations that support self-love and self-acceptance. These can be phrases or statements that help you feel confident, empowered, and loved.
- Reflections: Write about your thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Reflect on what you learned from challenges or difficult situations, celebrate your accomplishments, and explore your hopes and dreams.
- Positive experiences: Write about positive experiences you have had and how they made you feel. This can help you focus on positive experiences and build self-confidence.
- Self-care: Write down self-care activities you have done or plan to do. This can help you prioritize self-care and create a self-care routine that works for you.
- Goals: Write down your goals and break them down into smaller, achievable steps. Celebrate your progress along the way.
- Inspiration: Include quotes, poems, or other forms of inspiration that inspire and uplift you.
- Prompts: Prompts are a great way to engage your brain with something to write when you might be stuck or feel down about yourself or what you wear. Don’t stay down. For self-love journal ideas, use a couple of the prompts listed below.
Remember, the goal of a self-love journal is to cultivate a deeper understanding and acceptance of yourself. Your journal should be a safe and supportive space where you can explore your inner world and celebrate your strengths and accomplishments.
Prompts for self love journaling
Here are some self love journal prompts that you can use whenever you need a stimulating pick me up for your journaling:
- What are three things you love about yourself, and why?
- What makes you unique, and how does that make you special?
- What is your favourite article of clothing, and why do you love it?
- Write about a time when you felt confident and comfortable in what you were wearing, and how that experience made you feel.
- Write a letter to your younger self, offering words of love and encouragement.
- What is a self-care ritual that brings you joy, and how can you make it a regular part of your routine?
- What is something you’ve always wanted to wear but have been hesitant to try, and why?
- What are three things that make you feel happy and fulfilled, and how can you incorporate them into your life more often?
- What is something you accomplished recently that you are proud of, and why?
- Write about a time when someone complimented your outfit, and how that made you feel.
- Write about a time when you showed yourself compassion and kindness, and how it made you feel.
- What is something you struggle with, and how can you be more patient and loving with yourself in the face of that struggle?
- What is your go-to outfit or style when you want to feel comfortable and confident, and why?
- Write about a time when you dressed up for a special occasion, and how that experience made you feel.
- What is something you used to believe about yourself that you now know is not true, and why?
- What are three things you can forgive yourself for, and how can you release that guilt and shame?
- What is one thing you would like to change about your life, and how can you take steps toward that change with self-love and compassion?
- What is one clothing item or accessory you’ve been wanting to purchase, and why do you think it would make you happy?
- Write about a time when you overcame a challenge, and how that experience made you stronger.
- Write about a time when you dressed in a way that didn’t feel true to yourself, and how you can make choices that align with your personal style and preferences in the future.
- What are some qualities you admire in yourself, and how can you cultivate those qualities more often?
- What is your favorite color to wear, and why does it make you feel good?
- What is something you appreciate about your body, and how can you celebrate and care for it more often?
- What is a limiting belief you have about yourself, and how can you challenge and reframe that belief with self-love and compassion?
- Write about a time when you tried a new fashion trend, and how that experience helped you discover new aspects of yourself and your personal style.
- What is a dream or aspiration you have for your life, and how can you take steps toward that goal with self-love and confidence?
- Write about a time when you received kindness or support from someone else, and how that experience impacted you.
- What is a mistake you made that you can forgive yourself for, and what did you learn from that experience?
- What is something you do well, and how can you celebrate and honor that skill or talent more often?
- What is a healthy boundary you can set for yourself, and how can you communicate that boundary with kindness and self-respect?
- Write about a time when you felt proud of yourself for standing up for what you believe in, and how that experience empowered you.
- What is a challenge you are currently facing, and how can you approach that challenge with self-love and resilience?
- What is something you have been avoiding, and how can you show yourself compassion and courage to face that fear?
- What is a positive affirmation you can repeat to yourself when you need a boost of self-love and confidence?
- Write about a time when you received a compliment or positive feedback, and how that experience made you feel.
We hope you have enjoyed this post. If you would like to read more you may like:
Finally, let me tell you a little bit about Wardrobe Journaling. It is the process I have created that helps you understand yourself better through journaling and through thinking about the clothes you wear and your own unique personality. There are lots of Wardrobe Journaling blog posts available on this site. There is also the entirely unique Wardrobe Journaling course. If you want to take a step further into your own self development and self care this is a great, gentle but powerful course to take.
Have a great day!